It is a known fact that silver (whether fine, sterling silver, silver-filled or silver-plated) tarnishes. This process cannot be prevented, however by caring for your jewelry regularly, and properly, you can slow down the tarnishing process, and keep your jewelry looking shiny and new!
- Apply makeup, hairspray, and perfume before putting on your jewelry
- After removing your jewelry, wipe with a soft cloth to remove makeup and/or skin oils
- Remove jewelry when sleeping, bathing/showering, gardening, and working out (rings & bracelets when doing dishes, washing hands etc.)
- Do not wear jewelry in a swimming pool, or hot tub - Chlorine can damage all precious metals, and gemstones
- Keep away from all chemicals
- Store your jewelry away from heat sources, and sunlight. The sun may fade some gemstones.
- Store your jewelry pieces separately to avoid damaging and tangling
- Store jewelry with any silver components in an air tight bag, or container to prevent tarnishing as much as possible. Anti-tarnish stripes are also recommended
- It is highly recommended to use only silver polishing cloths when cleaning sterling silver, and espeically silver plated jewelry. Often, even liquid cleaners that claim to be "silver safe" are still too abrasive and can shorten the life of your precious pieces. Liquid cleaners also cause damage to gemstones (crystals, pearls) and should be avoided completely. It will also remove oxidization on handstamped jewelry
- Silver polish cloths are available for purchase here!
Melissa's Jewelry & Accessories is not responsible for jewelry damages due to wear, improper care, or cleaning damages. If you are uncertain on how to clean a piece, please contact us directly for instructions.